View Single Post
Old Jul 6th, 2020, 13:55   #3
100K+
Premier Member

Default Time grandad please.....

So... I thought I could at least attempt one of the three options I'd considered as a repair for the Blue smoke the car was blowing out the exhaust.....WRONG!
Despite a brill Utube vid :- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEOzIoVxO4s
I have hit a stone wall x2.
1) The LH lower inlet manifold is unaccessible to any of my sockets/spanners - even my 1/4" set. Even if I get this removed and all the other bolts loosened there is a banjo bolt on the LH side of the manifold that sits directly above the alternator and I can't get a spanner onto it and suspect the bolt will hit the alternator before the banjo is removed...( didn't have an issue on the vid.)

however,I can forsee a situation where I remove something and can't get it replaced or smash something trying too hard to remove it, and have the car stuck on the drive, so discretion etc. etc. to the fore, I'm giving up.....
I'll get everything back together, and live with the slightly higher oil consumption and smoke trail...
I'm thus now trying to convince myself ( and justify quitting) that as I have a vacuum in the PCV system, (at least on the glove test) this is not where the fault lies.

I have already 80% convinced myself that the problem is not valve seals, ( does the R even have valve seals??) so that just leaves the turbo ( or piston rings)

..and if I apply the above logic long enough and often enough I'll convince myself the smoke is actually a figment of my imagination!!

Cheers

Bob. currently Pig Sick!!
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote