View Single Post
Old Oct 6th, 2019, 21:27   #1
rx6180
Part-timer

Default Rear seat belt oddly twisted

My 65 plate V40 Cross Country, bought in July, has a twisted rear seat belt. Doesn't sound like a mind bending problem, does it? Probably the buckle has just become twisted on the webbing. Er...no. While the offside rear belt is perfect, the nearside one has a 180 degree twist as it goes up the seat and vanishes into the slot where the inertia reel is. BUT...the bottom anchorage behind the seat squab in the right way round, with the belt's label facing outwards like on the offside, the loops that stop the buckle siding to the bottom are at the BACK of the webbing out of sight, like on the offside, so that means the belt is twisted before it enters the slot in the rear moulding, to go around the reel.

Except you would think - I would think anyway - a 180 degree twist here would have to mean the inertia reel (hidden from view) is fitted upside-down or something - but it works perfectly. A 360 degree twist would be more likely if someone has been messing about and carelessly re-fitted the belt reel without paying attention to the run of the webbing - but no, it's a 180 degree twist.

So, I've no idea how to expose the inertia reel, hidden behind plastic, to get a better look without risking breaking trim panels or trim panel clips. Has anyone got any experience or advice?

At one time I believed getting at the back of the seat squab was all I needed to do to reverse the position on the anchorage down there, but A) as far as I can see the anchorage is a fixed steel loop and not bolted on like in the olden days, B) if un-twisting the belt there was possible, that would put the loops stopping the buckle sliding down on the outside of the webbing and very visible (ugly) and C) when I first owned a C30 I thought the seat squab pulled up to fold the rear seats, found out it didn't and broke a plastic clip holding the squab in the process. I hate breaking things when I don't know how they are fastened.

I'll try to attach a photo but I'm not sure if it's going to work. (Edit - yes it did!)

Mick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Volvo seat belt.jpg (78.2 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by rx6180; Oct 6th, 2019 at 21:30.
rx6180 is offline   Reply With Quote