Thread: General: - E46 Bi-Xenon (budget) retrofit
View Single Post
Old Jan 28th, 2020, 12:52   #118
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
Yea, same here - full beam on pitch black motorway, and road signs (especially big ones with lanes directions) are unbearable sometimes, but hey, either that or low beam, cant have both.
If you find the allignment being an issue in the long run, you can always use shims to put between projector and mount - will provide some extra angle and may allow you to keep HB3 horizontal axis, but ofc if you really have to do it.
otherwise, enjoy the leafs falling from the trees when you go full-light during the night
What is the legal situation regarding HiD bulbs. I'm going to take some pictures of my light output. Get your perspective on potential for improvement. Currently I have a halogen nightbreakers in a 2011 facelift c30. Full beam is great, but dipped beam isn't the best, not terrible though.

My first step would be to adjust up dipped beam as high as is legal. (any advice on best way to acheive this at home?)

Second step would be to post pics

Third is to decide what legal improvement I can make without dazzling others.

Since my lenses and reflectors look okay, I guess my options are a projector upgrade, and/or install HiD bulbs, but only if it's sound for legal, MOT and not going to dazzle others.

edit... Okay, so it's clear retrofit HiD are completely illegal in the UK unless you do a full retrofit with Xenon Hedlight, washers and self leveling. Provided the Xenon headlight was type approved you are good to go. All retrofits into halogen headlamp assemblies are deemed illegal.

Last edited by lockstock; Jan 28th, 2020 at 13:10. Reason: update
lockstock is offline   Reply With Quote