View Single Post
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 14:12   #1
Kev0607
Premier Member

Default V70 Towing capacity

My Dad has a P3 Volvo V70 D5 with 185bhp (front wheel drive) with the 6 speed TF80-SC automatic transmission. It doesn't have nivomat rear suspension, just the standard setup.

What's the maximum towing capacity on these cars including a trailer? He's thinking of buying a small mini digger and using the Volvo to tow it. He hasn't got a trailer either, but it would only be a small one adequate enough to hold the weight of the machine. However, it would be a proper plant/excavator trailer. It wouldn't be going off-road, just normal roads with maybe the odd hill climb here and there.

The mini digger would weigh around 1 tonne or 1.5 at most, then add the trailer on top. He'd have to get a tow bar installed too, as his car currently hasn't got one.

Would this be legal, or is it a stretch too far for a front wheel drive V70? Is the auto okay for towing?

He can tow up to 7 tonne according to his license (that's the combined weight of the vehicle, trailer and whatever he's towing) as far as I'm aware. I know the V70 wouldn't be able to tow that much, but he's licensed to tow that amount (just not in that car obviously).

Last edited by Kev0607; Mar 22nd, 2024 at 14:23.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote