View Single Post
Old Jan 9th, 2019, 17:29   #68
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
I had a 02 plate TD4 5-door ES which was a really nice car, heated leather etc. bought as project with a raft of minor issues but once sorted it was a nice reliable vehicle and also did a bit of laning in it - which is where I got to tow a Mk 1 Disco out of a muddy field... This one was a lucky find, had one private owner from new and mostly LR history, exceptional condition bodywork wise and interior, had only been used as a family runabout.

Then had a '04 plate (facelift) 3-door commercial which again bought as a project with a raft of issues. This one was a mistake, although it also had good LR history is was abused, and messed about with. Every now and then the engine would run rough and smoke and then clear itself with no codes logged, it's the only project car I've never got to the bottom of. Got fed up and sold it to a LR Freelander dealer who also got fed up of it and sold it on e-bay.

The idea of a 4x4 van was brilliant though, I could chuck gear in the back and drive it around my fields all day. I don't think anyone else makes anything the compared at the time? I still have idle thoughts of converting my old (2003) XC90 into a van but I've got Ford Ranger now for that work and comforts aside it's well suited.

It is surprising just how many Mk1 Freeloaders you still see on the roads. Far more than Rover 25's etc.
That was the beauty of the Freelander, not having to worry about High/Low ratio’s, driving a vehicle that was the size of a small warship, looking like you had just driven in from the wild lands of wherever. It is a very user friendly 4x4 that has the foot print of an average family estate but you can drive it over a wet field or moderately rough terrain.