View Single Post
Old Oct 16th, 2018, 09:46   #7
I-S
Premier Member

Interesting....

As in so many ways, I appear to be the opposite of everyone else.

I can never get comfortable in a manual - if I adjust the seat for the clutch (as I was taught to do) then the accelerator is too close and my right leg hurts (knee and ankle). If I adjust for the accelerator then using the clutch is uncomfortable. I have no problem in most autos if they are sensibly designed (but found the Merc GLC and Jeep Grand Cherokee very bad because there's nowhere for the left foot to go and no footrest).

It took quite a while for me to find the positioning that was right for me in the V70, but often people (and I was included in that) don't know in what order to make adjustments and how, especially when you have a 10+ way adjustable seat.

Start with base positioning fore-aft such that your foot rests comfortably on the throttle. Set base height to have a comfortable angle at your ankle to the throttle. Set base tilt so that your leg is just lightly resting on the front of the seat base (ie avoid pressure on the underside of your thigh by the knee - your weight should be on your bum, not your thigh) - this is where I was going wrong and had too much pressure on my leg.

Now set recline to have the seat comfortably support your lower back - your shoulder blades should not be in contact with the seat (as you want them to be able to move without restriction or pressure as you turn the wheel). Set Lumbar to provide the correct support according to your back shape (again, I'm weird on this - I need lumbar a long way out compared to most people and many cars offer too little support for me). Position steering wheel reach so that your arms have around a 150 degree angle at the elbow, and set steering rake to give a comfortable height and a clear view of the instruments. If adjustable (volvo are not), set headrest height so that the top of the headrest is level with the top of your ear (but your head will not be in contact with it).

The car we're looking at replacing our V70 with has 18-way front seats.... that could be interesting!
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote