View Single Post
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 21:03   #7
Triple-S
How Old?

Have just seen this so forgive my non-immediate reply! I have several 164s, two being on the road and although I don't need to drive much, my show-car is the only car I drive at present. That's because, when retired one can do what one prefers to do - and I really really like driving it and so hate cr#p titchy modern Euroboxes.

I've followed 164 trends for ages now, and as a rough idea of current happenings, there have been two on "carandclassics" since last year, and both at well over £10k. I know both cars - my light blue 164E was photographed next to one of them at Goodwood last year, and appeared in "Driver" recently. I helped exhume the grey one from its slumber about 15 years ago: the paint is good original but the interior isn't!

A recently well-restored maroon one sold last year for about £8k yet was promptly put back up for sale for ~£10k - but didn't sell. A dark blue one appeared after some work then storage last year too: a dealer got it running again but couldn't sell it for under £3k.

What am I trying to say - being very non-fashionable (except to 164-lovers like me) they are only worth what you can get for them. I have never paid more that £2500 for one (yes, Derek, I have bought some....) and the one you describe sounds interesting. By chance did its owner take it to a Volvo rally at Stratford (I think) about 4 years ago? Came in late as he saw the rally by chance - I spoke to owner and took a picture of it.

If you go and see it, ask if you can take a picture of it to paste here, for as they say, a picture saves a thousand words!

Paul
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Triple-S For This Useful Post: