View Single Post
Old Jul 11th, 2019, 01:01   #29
gothamus

Default 38 miles on

The engine is performing pretty good but I am watching the temperature closely. The gauge was right in the sweet zone the other morning, which makes me distrust the gauge. I didn’t have my little thermometer so I couldn’t get some comparison.

I took her on the BQE, a ring road not far from me in Brooklyn, to get a mile of highway running. Nothing blew up and driving performance was normal. When I got back I found a lot of oil had escaped out of the passenger side of the engine. Either the sump gasket or filter seal. There was some tightening that could be done but I’m concerned about the amount of positive pressure. If things are good elsewhere it should mean sump bolts were very very loose, to my understanding. I’m removing the nipple on the manifold just to be sure the small hole is not clogged and there is somewhere for gases to escape to under engine braking conditions. I’m not sure how large that opening should be. I saw a table of sizes for different B20 engines but I haven’t been able to find that page again. 2mm? I have a one way valve on the flame trap, so no escape from the side.

Since I lost a lot of oil I went ahead and drained what was left and changed the filter. If things go well I shouldn’t need to change oil for another 500 miles.
gothamus is offline   Reply With Quote