Thread: V70 Body/Trim: - Tailgate wont open
View Single Post
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 19:49   #27
deepc

A thanks, a results, and a little background and recommendation follow:

A huge hooyah to the original poster SYMES and mvpguerra for helping fix my 03 V70's stuck tailgate. I also had two broken wires, yellow and grey, and a black with insulation chafed right at the hinge. Quick solder job and all is well.

I went by the dealer and also emailed Volvo customer care trying to figure out how to get into the tailgate. The dealer said there's no way and customer care said to bring it by the dealer. Worthless. So I took the recommended route and pulled the trim back off the top, stuck one hand down in there and moved the locking lever to the driver's side--voila, one open tailgate. From there it was an easy deal with four Torx to undo the trim and commence the search for the broken wires.

So here's what really ticks me off, if you look at the right side of the tailgate's bottom, and at the trim, there's a hole there just right for a bent wire or perhaps a "special Volvo tool" that would fit in there, reach up, and rotate that triangular white plastic connector to unlock the gate. Now, I have no doubt that if I went to the dealer for a fix, the lock fairy would have opened the lid in 30 seconds, and then sat and laughed at the one hour labor they'd have charged. They have a means to open the damned thing and they're not bothering to help anyone out...that's bad customer service...no better than the ubiquitous "check engine" light that's always worth a $125 diagnostic charge.

It would be a cinch to make this tool, and prevent this hassle the next time the wires go.

Anyway, fixed thanks to this fantastic forum and its posters. Thanks again!
deepc is offline   Reply With Quote