Thread: Body/Trim: - Plastic Door Pockets:~ Strengthen
View Single Post
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 22:05   #1
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Default Plastic Door Pockets:~ Strengthen

Door Pockets: ~ Volvo 240 1988 Estate
The two front door pockets on these cars are made from the wrong type of plastic for this situation i.e. very brittle and susceptible to breakages.
They can be reinforced quite easily and at little cost by the following method.
Obtain a couple of lengths of aluminum angle section (anodized looks the best and will match the other door detail or you could polish the raw finish if you wish- 14mm x 14mm “L” section is a good size to use & when finished you should have a small top section on view that doesn’t look out of place.
I purchased some from Wicks B.S. but readily available from many others- purchase enough to add additional supports to the insides of the pockets as shown.
The pockets & metal will need to be thoroughly cleaned as the section needs to be stuck into place with 3M double sided tape, I would also advise going for the VHB (Very high bond)
As a further measure/option of security I also drilled through the face of the pockets & top section and then used some short flanged stainless self-taping screws painted black.
The above makes for a much stronger door pocket and far less likely to be damaged when knocked.
Trust it helps
Regards Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg volvo pocket 2 (2).jpg (26.3 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg volvo 3 pocket.jpg (26.1 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0631 (1).JPG (111.4 KB, 56 views)
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post: