Thread: 1800: - P1800ES fuel injection
View Single Post
Old Apr 11th, 2021, 22:17   #8
VolvoRoyS

Thanks for those links. I've had the car only two weeks and am working my way through a service. The car had no hose linking the vacuum retard to the inlet manifold (it was blanked off at the manifold), the inlet air hose was ripped apart and the air filter very dirty. So far I have fitted a new air filter, inlet air hose but when I fitted the vacuum advance hose there was a very noticeable drop in engine revs so don't why that would be. I have also had the distributor off to check the trigger contacts (completely new concept to me), set the point to 18 thou (they were 12 thou) and checked the ignition timing (set to 10 deg BTDC). Also set valve clearances to 16 thou (some were OK some were tight and others loose) but find the valve gear quite noisy and wonder if I should set them to perhaps 12 thou. I then found it wouldn't start when cold (and it has been cold here the last week) but then discovered the hidden switch for the cold start valve. However, idling is quite rough so now plan to focus on the fuel injection starting with the throttle valve, throttle valve switch and idle adjustment. Any suggestions as to why the idle would be rough especially when cold would be welcome.
VolvoRoyS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VolvoRoyS For This Useful Post: