Thread: V70: Engine - Less torque as standard...
View Single Post
Old Apr 24th, 2018, 07:02   #4
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
Well if my Aisin-Warner auto transmission on my '12 215 bhp XC70 is sapping power, the engine must have oodles to spare as it pulls like an express train! Don't know what the effects of towing heavy loads might be but just driven enthusiastically unloaded it has not been possible to see how much grunt it will actually give before running out of road or nerve!
Agreed tatsfield. A gearbox is a gearbox it's the torque converter that supposedly causes the problem.
Whatever the official figure my manual has more than enough and I have never found its limit either.
On the subject of official figures can they be relied on? My handbook has a number of mistakes given in official figures, coolant capacity being a glaring one.
The rumour that the weaker manual box cannot handle the higher torque is prevalent though wether based on fact is another matter. I have yet to meet anyone whom broke their manual gearbox yet plenty complain of gremlins in the auto. Of course this may well be because there are far more autos than manual. As for clutches and DM flywheels, I have personal experience of a manual V70 on 225,000 miles on original components and it spent part of its life towing on a regular basis.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote