View Single Post
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 04:07   #96
blueosprey90
Master Member

harpgirl's thread on the 1800 B20e cam profile has been truly enlightening.

Although I'm wanting to soup up my B-16B engine, I haven' found any sort of special tuning or competition preparation manual to guide me. And when I see advice about the B-18 or B-20 engines, I see somewhat vague suggestions of different lettered camshafts. In one of the linked threads, this was a complete summary posted by ClassicSwede

"A cam is for single carb engines
B cam twin carb engines
C cam P1800 and 123 GT
D fuel injection cam
K cam fast road B18 or mild street B20
R cam Very fast road B18 or fast road B20
S & T full race B18 Very fast road B20
U & V full race B20

I hope that explains all the cam profiles"

Well, of course, it doesn't explain anything about the cam profiles, e.g. duration, lift, lobe separation angles and the like.

But the link by Ian R., also linked in that thread, has outstanding camshaft information.

http://www.1800philes.com/ianr/_superlist_grinds.html

So, for example, I can now see that a Volvo K cam has 222 degrees of duration at 0.50" lift, lobe separation of 111 degrees and a max lift of .420" at standard rocker arm ratios. (This is useful because, although I am a mere rank amateur engine builder, I can still relate the information to the camshafts in my primary and spare MGA engines.)

So even if the B-20 camshaft information doesn't translate directly to the B-16B engine, Ian R's data gives me a huge jumpstart on the data that I'll need to start developing to build up my engine.

That's a couple years away most likely. In the meanwhile, I'll keep looking to develop the information for the B-16B and in the meanwhile try to get that lump humming like a well oiled sewing machine.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote