View Single Post
Old Jul 23rd, 2019, 10:10   #9
Peterspencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Whilst it was a bit direct - Swiss's advice was factual and relevant.

VIDA is by the far best diagnostic system that you can use on your Volvo but it will only tell you symptoms, not causes. Like a doctor know your temperature is high and blood pressure low.... a brain is needed (with experience and intelligence) to diagnose.

By coming on to this forum you get access to more Volvo experience that anywhere else. But as you say you have the option of going elsewhere...

Anyway to your post - I agree with what has been said so far - ECU's very rarely give trouble and generally either work or fail hard.

Bad earth's are not likely to be the issue either - Volvo's wiring standards are much higher now and every resistance based sensor has it's own dedicated earth and reference resistor built in so it is effectively one half of a wheatstone bridge. Many of the sensors now are digital also (but probably not on the Mk 1 90)

Thanks for that.

Guess its multimeter time now.

This in my first modern volvo i have worked on so its going to be interesting. VIDA is a great tool and would of helped me in my past life mending the F88 we had on the fleet...
Interesting to hear of the wire standards, this could be simply a lose plug or dodgy connector i guess, we do get a poor radio signal when its damp in the rear of the car which i also guess is a corrosion on a connector or component.

I will report back what i find, the message is back on the dashboard after only 2 days this time.

Its a 2010 D5 BTW
Peterspencer is offline   Reply With Quote