Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Jul 14th, 2020, 11:35   #1447
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Some time ago I succeeded in removing shims just by levering the edge of the bucket with a large screwdriver braced against the underside of the camshaft.
It was a bit frustrating and kept slipping, so I improved on the idea by cutting slots out of a piece of gas piping, about 2" diameter, so that the two remaining prongs could be pressed down on the bucket, freeing the shim to be retrieved with long-nosed pliers.
I used a flat bar of steel for leverage, with a projecting nut and bolt that located over the pipe so it didn't skid from under the bar, and a chain with hook on the short end of the lever. I can't remember what exactly it hooked on.

I replaced (or actually ground down the underside of the shims that were only slightly too thick) most of the shims.
Another time I used the "tool" successfully to compress each valve spring in turn to remove the collets, cap and valve spring and replace the oil seals.
I locked the valves using the "rope trick" method.

It was a very makeshift sort of tool, basically just a development of applying a wide screwdriver.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post: