View Single Post
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 11:16   #1
clearblue

Default help..exhaust and timing belt

Hi,
I was driving home last night when the clip at the back box on my exhaust broke. Pulled over quickly and managed to get it strapped up with a bungy and nursed her home the 2 odd miles. Sounds like a tractor, extremely reduced power, so I assumed something had disconnected on up the exhaust. Took it round the corner to local mechanic this morning and he said he would look at it this afternoon, but ok to drive gently home, to local shop etc. Went to shop and as I pulled in it sounded like a belt was squealing. I came back out and started her, put into reverse and there was a real resistance, like if you had a flat tyre. Got out checked tyres, all ok, exhaust still held up at back ok so I popped the bonnet. On one of the cogs where the belt is there was a piece of what looked like twine caught round it. I fished that out and then noticed the belt is quite slack and 2 of the outer ridges on it look frayed/worn. Belt was only replaced a week ago and car has only done about 200 miles.

So question is wtf?? Has exhaust dropping at back caused some kind of damage up front, or has something been amiss when timing belt has been done and this is just really bad luck? I'm gutted, have just spent around £700 on car repairs and she is now sitting at the shop. Don't want to drive her and cause more damage. She's a 2002 v70 t5 geartronic. Any ideas guys??
clearblue is offline   Reply With Quote