Thread: Engine 850: B5254S/2.4/20v: - Head Gasket failed, head off.. what next?
View Single Post
Old Jan 24th, 2022, 08:01   #7
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinky1 View Post
@CNGBiFuel I got fed up with that load leveller. It's good for smaller engines but for the 5 pot volvo it just wasn't long enough so as you can see i had to come up with my own extension to it (works very well). The original leveller kept bending the lifting loop inwards over the rocker cover. ....

None of the engineering companies round here could replicate it (only syaing "years ago when we had the right tools we could have done that for you but not now.."). I even contacted the manufacturers and they were very hostile towards me over it with one reply simply stating "dont want to help you" - charming!
I'd imagine using a crane with less reach than mine, would place the chains at angles with lift-loops under undue stress. Thing is, it cost £22, it did the job - what's not to like?

Are we surprised engineering companies didn't look too hard? Even with the kit, and set-up, this one-off job wants 5-6 hours, or best part of day's work. Labour alone, I know what most of us want for a day's work, how about you?

It's a £20-25 item. You say you spoke to the manufacturers, are you sure of this? - I suspect you spoke to the distributor. If you did speak to the manufacturer, the courier bill alone from China will be £70-80. It's not clear what surprised you or why you were expecting much else. Or, even if they could, why you thought any of them could help you with a price you'd want to pay?

We both should have bought this... New it's a £80+ proper item. I got lucky and paid less for it than we both did for the cheapy. Then again - new - it sells for a proper price.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Load-leveller.jpg (65.1 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jan 24th, 2022 at 08:13.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CNGBiFuel For This Useful Post: