Thread: Seriously?
View Single Post
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 12:31   #631
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
My experience of ebay suggests that it will struggle to even reach £1750 as previous bidders will have found other cars to bid on and won't be interested in this one. There will be a few that had their heart set on this car - for a budget though and i suspect that budget is in the £12-1500 range and still likely below his reserve.

If you're adding a reserve, start the bidding really low like 99p, it won't sell until the reserve is met so why put buyers off with a higher initial bid unless that is your reserve.
I agree with you about the eBay experience Dave. This motor car will appeal to a very small group of bidders, most of whom will have noticed it being offered for sale 5 or 6 times at progressively lower prices. It may struggle to get off the ground this time, as you point out: anyone interested would have seen the bidding only make £1750 last time and will consider that the ceiling. They will also have seen the seller drop his price by £500 every couple of weeks and so might be waiting for it to get to the £1,500 range.

We also saw that car from Bude sell for only a grand last week, and it was about the same quality (maybe a bit better). Anyone serious about buying a 1980s 240 will have noticed that.

I can't help thinking that if the seller had started off in the £2,000 to £2,500 price range the car would have been sold by now. Instead he/she tried double that and has now almost exhausted the small market's patience. We see this all the time though - there are lots of middling to good cars being offered at £6,000 to £11,500 that never sell.

Ho hum.