View Single Post
Old Jan 12th, 2020, 18:18   #1
capt jack
VOC Member

Default What's it worth?

Still not sure whether to LPG my S90 and keep it, or change it for a diesel car. My daily commute is now a 60+ mile round trip, and the car is averaging 25mpg. This is the only reason I'm thinking of selling. I bought the car at a time when work was just ten minutes up the road. But I was made redundant at the end of 2018, and now that I'm back in a long-term job over 2 gallons a day to get to work is knocking a big hole in the monthly pay packet. I reckon that in a more modern diesel I could comfortably cut the fuel expenditure by half.

As part of my figuring it'd be really useful to get a real-world achieveable sales valuation for my S90:
  • P-reg 1997 3.0 auto, with 116,000 miles. 204bhp. Dark metallic blue with beige leather interior. In really very good condition. Everything works - including the glass tilt-and-slide sunroof and the aircon. There is some slight puckering of the door card tops on the two front doors, the rears are pretty close to perfect. It has its original Volvo cassette-radio, and a Volvo wood-rimmed steering wheel.
  • Excellent Pirelli tyres all round, alloys in good condition.
  • Cambelt changed at 70,000 in 2013, so it's still got a way to go before the next change is needed. The service book is stamped by the supplying main dealer for all services up until I bought the car at 88,000 miles. Since then I've done three oil change services myself. I've also replaced the front disks and pads, fitted a new battery, and a reconditioned NSF caliper.
  • MoT is to November 2020. There were two advisories last time, so both front wishbones and droplinks have been replaced.
  • One owner before me from new, then mine since March 2018. The car isn't a perfect "time-warp" barn find, but I would certainly describe it as in very good all-round condition. It drives absolutely beautifully, and if it sells then I will be sad to see it go.
In order to make sense of changing it for a diesel I'd be looking to sell for around £2,750 - £3,000.

Is this sort of figure pie-in-the-sky and only for hopeful no-hopers on carandclassic.com - or is it a realistic and achievable number?

Opinions and advice welcomed.

Thanks

Jack

Last edited by capt jack; Jan 12th, 2020 at 18:23.
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post: