View Single Post
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 20:35   #14
TonyS

I averaged 47MPG in a 340 I drove for 2 weeks, excellent engine, never touched the carb. 360 can maybe manage 28MPG on the same journey. 940 Turbo 24MPG or so. This is on a 30min motorway journey. I get 26MPG on longer journeys on the 940. Cleaning the distributor cap of oil (damn cam end dizzy) gives another 1-2MPG for a week or so.

I think its mainly the body that dictates it for the Engine. The ET will have a higher compression ratio giving less lag a better torque, but much less overall torque. The High compression 360s are brilliant to drive with instant high level power, less overall but just so responsive compared to unleaded engines and Turbo's. I was very tempted to go for a basic 2.3 drop in instead to keep that, but the desire to embarrase Scubby drivers with a Turbo Engine is to tempting. Not sure how much power the 360 can take, see other posts on breaking driveshafts, but my 95 940 HPT estate is good for 0-60 in about 7s with 11psi boost (Standard was 5). Imagine what that like in a 360.

A/C in a 360? Definately havn't seen that is it aftermarket, thought power steer was the biggest space taker they could fit in it. Definately wasn't an option in 86, I still have the sales brochure. And girlfriends GLE 89 user manual doesn't mention it.

I'm more into Q-car approach, rubber band tyres just means the rims get bent. Try to get a straight 14" allow for a 360 out of a scrap yard, and they take 60 series tyres. I think that fad will die out, one the wide boys have had to buy a second set. I would like more width on the rim though. 55s are not too bad I certainly wouldn't go any lower.

The cams are quite quiet normally, but can be shimed up, I've never bothered doing this but might on my project car (199K miles). I think the main noise comes from pistons slightly loose in the bores and possibly big end and main bearings. I did the valves in my first 340 1.4 and it went very quiet.