Thread: Ball Joints
View Single Post
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 09:11   #18
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk164 View Post
If you are in the market for a ball joint tool, then be patient and keep looking on eBay for a 2nd hand Churchill scissor type splitter; there is one on there now and the link below will take you there.
I bought mine in the 1960's before Churchills closed (about 1973) but they can still be found. They will never break and I have never had a joint that has not been sorted using mine, but even 2nd hand, they will not be cheap because they are indestructible and simply the best.
Garth.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STEERING-...oAAOSwDMZbUko4
A very good point Garth, i've recently bought a Woden vice for similar reasons.

The one question i have is does the Churchill splitter open wide enough to attack the ball joints on the Volvo?

I can't remember the exact amount but most "normal" scissor type splitters won't go near it or at least wouldn't on mine due to long taper pins, even cutting the end of the taper pin off didn't allow a normal one to fit.
Hence buying the one i linked to on Pg1 of this thread (think it was Pg1) and having found it's a good quality item (rare these days!) had no hesitation recommending it.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote