View Single Post
Old May 7th, 2011, 21:58   #313
159john

Quote:
Originally Posted by faffi View Post
My Mondeo had a 5-tronic, which I'm led to believe is the same as the Geartronic.

Dislikes:
- Slow reaction compared to an old style automatic, takes forever to change gear. That goes for normal shifts in general, but kick-down in particular.

- Cannot skip gears in kick-down mode; sit in 5th and stomp on the loud pedal and it's 4th, 3rd and eventually 2nd gear. Old school autoboxes usually jumps directly to the required gear.

- It is actually possible to come to a compete stop and take off again without the box shifting into 1st gear until you've moved 10 yards. Very annoying.

- Inefficient. Consumption in city mode worse than traditional autos and much worse on the motorways compared to trad autos with lock-up.

- More compex due to electronics that also tries to read your driving style - and since I drive either hard or very gentle, but rarely in between, it's constantly confused as in too lazy the odd time I want sport performance - that can lead to failures and certainly more cost over time.

In theory, functionality from the 5-tronic should be superior to the sort of "plain" autoboxes we've had for decades, but in actual use it is inferior in virtually every way IMNSHO.
Doesn't sound like it is the same as Geartronic - my box doesn't display any of those problems. My only real grumble with the Geartronic is that the torque converter won't feed in full torque unless the revs are over 2,500.
159john is offline   Reply With Quote