View Single Post
Old May 20th, 2019, 14:24   #4
rusty244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Hello, Like so many people my health issues seem to multiply. Any and every task seems to take longer to get started and longer to complete. There is a local garage who might be good I suspect. That is an unknown. Some of our members have had disappointing experiences. And it is not easy t let go of actually ding the work myself.

Mine is a 240 SE B200F estate. Good MOT results. No known issues just the usual list of little things I'd like to improve. Biggest thing would be the usual corrosion under the rear bumper and I have a serious independent person lined up for that work. I have the repair panel waiting.

EDIT: I wonder about say a GL automatic saloon 230 K-jet. But. I don't think that's really an answer to the fundamental issues.

My fundamental thought is. I know this car. It serves me well. And. I don't want to buy someone else's problems.

I think that I will try to do some small maintenance, and perhaps ask the local garage to do some work to see how that goes.

I should be grateful for some objective thoughts and ideas please. I am willing to consider say an automatic hatchback providing it is of robust construction. Something any garage can cope with and obtain parts for.

Open minded objective opinions are welcome please.

I do NOT want my Volvo 240 to end up being sold for close to scrap after I'm gone if I do not manage to get good maintenance continued. We've all seen those unhappy threads.

Thank you.

Sorry to read about your health issues Stephen.

My grandad (sadly now passed away) struggled in his later years with Parkinsons and he also was reluctant to turn over his car to the local garage for any work having worked on it from when he bought it brand new.

He did eventually let a garage do a few jobs - timing belt, brakes and a couple of other things and used to keep me posted about these things. What was surprising to me was over the 8 or so years he did let the garage do work, how little was actually needed. Possibly because of the low mileage he did or it was in tip top condition beforehand but it can only have gone in a handful of times. Properly robust cars these.

I guess what your annual mileage is plus whether the car will need much bodywork (the current piece aside) might determine if a modern car might require less input.

As for the future value hopefully this won't be a worry - prices seems to be on the up and I have read numerous articles recently in various magazines stating the wide ranging appeal of the 240 to all generations should cement it's future as a sought after classic.
rusty244 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty244 For This Useful Post: