View Single Post
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 08:42   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephend View Post
Thanks, Dave, that's really helpful!

Fitting myself probably isn't on, much as I'd like to. I've got recurring tendon problems in both shoulders, which I keep setting off by lifting things that I probably shouldn't lift, because I'm too bloody-minded to recognise my limitations.

As I understand it, a gearbox is a two-person job even with the right kit, which I haven't got. And as gearboxes go, I imagine a Volvo one is going to be on the heavy side. So I think this is one for me to man up and pay a professional!

Luckily, my local indie is a good guy, and happy to treat the Tank with the TLC she deserves.
You're preaching to the (semi) converted on knowing your limitations so i get where you're coming from. In my younger days i happily changed gearboxes by myself with only a spare jack as extra support. These days it's a struggle to change the oil at times!

To actually benefit from a second person helping, you need room for both to be under the car which isn't always possible when doing it on your driveway. Also it can be counter-productive, even if both of you know what you're doing.

No idea on the weight of an M47 and gearboxes can vary a lot in weight, even on similar sized units.

Shouldn't be too long a job for your local indie, assuming Volvo haven't done any of their "sneaky little tricks" that might mean bits being swapped from one box to the other e.g. bell housing, output flange or similar. Had a look online for the weight, couldn't find it but did find a lot of references that suggest even on a DIY basis, doing it in a couple or three hours is perfectly possible. With a decent ramp, transmission jacks, someone who knows what they're doing with decent tools and no problems, i see no reason why 2 hours shouldn't be easy enough.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: