View Single Post
Old Aug 16th, 2018, 19:25   #42
TomSaintJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllHailKingVolvo View Post
Congrats on a very cool car! I watched it on eBay for a while, very cool indeed.

I would say you have the AW70 box. Both my former 2.0 auto estates had that box, the slightly harsh kickdown you describe affected one of mine and was helped a lot by a gearbox flush and oil/filter change.

The B200 motors are great, tough engines that will do big miles (I’ve had three 2.0 cars, two auto estates and my current manual saloon) but paired with the auto box they’re not quick cars by any means, and will be surprisingly thirsty (I averaged 19mpg with my estates). The performance you describe sounds absolutely in line with what i’d expect.

The light clusters should work fine when the plastics are replaced-if not, consult with the fuse box under the ashtray 🙂

The whine sounds like diff to me, but it could be a wheelbearing. All simple enough stuff to sort. Bear in mind the car’s former passengers weren’t too concerned with road noise, so soundproofing is likely to be minimal!

I’d get your coilovers set up by someone clued in to that side of things. All my 740s have been softly sprung but not too bouncy...it sounds well kitted out though, so some proper attention should sort it.

Keep us posted on how the conversion goes!
AllHailKingVolvo I've just seen that you're in Sherborne, I live in Yeovil and do head on into Sherborne fairly regularly. Perhaps we'll pass each other now and again?
TomSaintJames is offline   Reply With Quote