View Single Post
Old Jul 29th, 2017, 03:40   #24
Quacker
Premier Member

"sealed for life" seldom means precisely that. In transmission terms it usually goes with a fluid that keeps within spec for an average of 100,000 miles and gradually goes further below spec from then on, until the gearbox or transaxle probably fails at between 150k and 180k. Oil changes starting at 80k and then every 50k or so might well extend the service life by another 50k to 100k miles.

It all depends on whether the car is expected to last much more than 150,000 miles or 15 years, which is about as much as most cars tend to last before being crushed.

As to the Haldex rear transmission specifically, I have zero experience of its service life or requirements but suspect that it will benefit in the same way as automatic transmissions as explained above, possibly at shorter intervals but that's only a guess.
I do have some experience with the Honda unit, which is very like earlier Haldex units in principle. Honda specify 80,000 mile change inervals I believe but mine started groaning at just over 50,000 miles, so I dumped the fluid and flushed it by changing one more time after maybe five miles, and the noise has gone. No filter on the Honda unit that I'm aware of.

Last edited by Quacker; Jul 29th, 2017 at 03:55.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote