View Single Post
Old Apr 16th, 2018, 17:45   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post
Dave;

"Bosch distributors are notorious for closing the points gap despite proper and careful initial setting." I can't agree...and it's the first time I've heard of that...maybe your initial setting wasn't as "proper and careful" as you thought...I got 50kMiles from one set of points as a long-term test, and I finally changed them out of guilt (and because Centrifugal Advance was frozen)!

See: http://www.sw-em.com/tuneup.htm

Cheers
I'm speaking from my experience Ron, same as you are but i've seen countless distributors with the points securing screws chewed in a clockwise direction by owners and/or mechanics trying to ensure the gaps didn't close.

At one point in time, the contact breaker sets were sold with replacement screws all neatly packaged with them. I've also attended a high number of breakdowns where the car has become sluggish then suddenly either died or refused to start - first question is when was it last serviced? If the answer is either very recently or quite a while ago, the first point to look at (pardon the pun) is the contact breaker gap if it has a Bosch dizzy.

With the advent of initially Hall Effect and then later Motronic triggered electronic ignition and aftermarket kits, the demise of the contact breaker and condensor was inevitable.

That's why it's barely heard of today but i'm fairly sure that had the internet been around 30-40 years ago, it would have been full of posts from not just Volvo owners but owners of Vauxhall, Ford, VW, Audi, Mercedes, BMW to name just half a dozen asking how to prevent their points closing up.

Despite being known as "The Price of Darkness", Lucas distributors and points never seemed to suffer this problem, it seemed to be a "Bosch thing".

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote