Thread: General: - E46 Bi-Xenon (budget) retrofit
View Single Post
Old Oct 5th, 2018, 16:49   #34
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post

Worth noting that I haven't touched the shield screw on either projector but wondered if that actually affected the hotspot in your testing?

Otherwise, the headlamps are epic.. the 5000k bulbs are ever so slightly too blue for my liking, but they seem brighter than almost every car I've compared them with, and on par with any LED solution in terms of brightness at least.
No, shields wont affect hotspot in that way, what will though is the bulb misallignment.
On the H7 version I had an immediate issue with one bulb not providing a hotspot at all, it was a kind of uniformed light where hotspot should have been. On closer inspection it revealed that bulb was just a bit off the centre when seated in the projector and the centre of the hotspot was moved behind the shutter (so visible only when long beam applied). I bet its similar on yours.
There is an article on this issue on HIDPlanet its called bulb shimming. Thats one of the reasons I wanted to go D2S as there you have no such issues (usually a problem of badly made chinese bulbs). In my case I was able to bend the bulb legs a bit and didnt need any shimming pads, but you can approach it various ways.
Main thing is - you need to take lamp out, put in in front of wall or something and fiddle the bulb a bit left/right and observe how it affects the hotspot. You will notice it moves left-right-up-down and based on that you will know where the misallignment is.
What you want to achieve is something like this, with hotspot being in about 60% of visible space:

Its really easy and once done - you are sorted.

IF im wrong, and its not the hotspot (can be easily checked also by swapping the bulbs) it may be issue with projector seating itself. I know you had same issue on Halogen bulb but that may have been reason of different type of burner. The definite way to confirm it is to try another (from other light) xenon burner and if both cant provide a hotspot in centre its a likely projector seating issue.
But then test if you have any hotspot visible or not, to eliminate the lens or reflector problem. Open the shutter by hand and observe if hotspot is visible at all. As an example, perfectly centered hotspot on wide open shutter:

If you cant achieve this, projector may be faulty and you need to contact RFL.
hope that helps?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg x.jpg (31.7 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg x2.JPG (11.3 KB, 95 views)