Thread: Seller beware!
View Single Post
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 17:02   #4
V70Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
A timely warning, 'V70Craig', but it is not only sellers who should be aware. It seems this issue, or variants of it, are becoming increasingly prevalent.

I attended our local Parish Council meeting the other evening and the first item as always was a report by the Police officer present. On this occasion he reported a number of cases of number plate thefts from vehicles parked outside overnight. These plates were then used on similar vehicles for illegal purposes, such as driving off without paying for fuel.

The Police are obviously aware of the problem, but there is little that they can do unless they catch the miscreants red-handed. In an attempt to counter the problem, our local council distribute 'tamper-proof' screws to members of the public upon request. Apparently, if so secured, a number plate may only be removed by destruction.

Regards, John.
Sounds like a good idea but sadly would not have been applicable in my case. The distances involved mean the miscreant has had plates made up from photos of my car seen online in for sale ads. I am able to provide evidence of the fact that my car has not been used at all in several weeks and have photographic evidence of the mileage, which has not increased sufficiently to cover the distances involved.

I'm hoping there isn't more to come
Current:
2002 S60 T5 SE Manual 116k
V70Craig is offline   Reply With Quote