View Single Post
Old Dec 31st, 2022, 15:19   #30
StatusRed
Premier Member

Okay... me and Acuity30 have managed to do this with 2 people on his car and I managed it on my own, on my car beforehand..

Yeah the bottom belt was a real PITA but a lot easier with 2 people and once I'd got the nack of how to get it to work with the tool..

Things you need:
  • Long belt tool with a 14mm socket or open end (to push back the automatic tensioner)
  • 22mm socket to turn the crank shaft
  • T25 socket for the wheel arch
  • 10mm socket / spanner for the wheel arch, lower belt metal cover and tensioner
  • 12mm socket / spanner if you have the manual tensioner at the moment
  • An extra M8 nut to get the stud out if you currently have the manual tensioner
  • Tool for the bottom belt

Basically it's all fine as per the instructions but to get the tool to work with the bottom belt is a pain but do-able.. The problem is the power steering lines stop it working nicely like you see in the photos, it doesn't clear them and you need to unclip them from each other and sort of push the tool against the crankshaft pulley and up with the belt as you crank it over clockwise, keeping pressure on it as you turn over the engine is the trick to get it to work (this is why it's a lot easier with 2 people). If you don't keep pressure on it the belt will just keep slipping over it and the tool won't move with the belt and pulley, you sort of need to pull the power steering lines towards you slightly as you do it so they don't block the tool moving round. Eventually it goes on, if it isn't sitting right on the bottom AC pulley after getting it on the top, crank it round another time, you can also put the tool onto the bottom pulley at this point to seat onto the bottom pulley properly.

Quite a PITA but it's doable.

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote