Thread: V70: Wheels/Brakes - Mechanic broke the parking brake?
View Single Post
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 14:17   #1
yahu55

Unhappy Mechanic broke the parking brake?

It's my first post in this Forum as I've just bought my 2010 V70, 2.4D few weeks ago. So I am taking this chance to say "hi" to everyone

The story is: I wanted to replace brake pads and discs and to do so brought my car to an independent mechanic. During the job I was told that the parking brake is faulty due to electric engine failure in the rear left wheel (the car is equipped with EPB).

So the outcome is: on receiving the car from the mechanic I got the infamous message on my dashboard saying "Parking brake service required". Parking brake works using only right wheel system (I assume) and I've noticed increased "play" - the car moves back/forward few centimeters after the parking brake is engaged - this wasn't the case before.

And finally guy quoted me with almost £300 for new caliper and motor.

Is it likely that it might have been the mechanic who broke it as there were no problems with the EPB before? After reading other topics I think that it might be the case that he didn't use proper tools to put the brakes into "service mode" first.
I wonder if it may be the case that this is only "software" issue and might be resolved with some sort of a reset?

I am looking for an advice on how to proceed with this. Cheers
yahu55 is offline   Reply With Quote