Thread: Any Advice?
View Single Post
Old Jan 21st, 2020, 16:19   #23
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris152 View Post
LS - I should have put 'estate' in the list of requirements - camping and all that. I'd seen that saloon advertised and like it - in fact, we both really like the saloons, but an estate is perfect (he surfs and that space in the back would be ideal for boards and stuff) and the idea is that the car's a keeper.

That said, looking on the net, I remembered how much I like the two-door coupe versions! Were they just for the US market? Anyway, that's not on our radar.

Also, I'd not thought about getting an auto and in time converting to manual- is that a complex job? If we're looking for an auto with overdrive, what dates of manufacture should we be considering?

I've put a wanted ad out on FB, we'll see if anything turns up...

ps Dan - I tried to pm you about insurance but I can't as I don't yet have enough posts. Maybe you can pm me and I'll be able to reply? Thanks.
If memory serves it was about 1986-88 when the ZF 4HP22 started finding its way into the cars, Jaguar had been using it as had others from about 86 on so there's a likelihood the 240 did too, i had an 87/E reg 740GLE with it in, it's possible they were fitted earlier but that is my earliest knowledge of them.

It's a fairly long job to convert to manual, simply in terms of spanner twirling time. Not especially complicated, just labour intensive and you'll need some good trolley jacks and axle stands.

Ideally you'd want a spares car to remove the manual box from and all items of trim, gear lever, pedal box, the list is fairly long and some parts are best bought new such as the spigot bearing. I've done several in my time but no Volvos, that said the principle is the same so i can give you plenty of pointers, if anyone else has also done it they can hopefully fill in any blanks i might leave.

Summing up what you've said so far, it sounds very much like you're looking for a late 245GLE/GLT, go for as late a car as you can find as you're more likely to get fuel injection which gives the improved power and economy.

I'd say avoid one with a cat (unless it's unavoidable, i.e. J reg or newer) as it saps power, economy and can be costly if the cat is either stolen or expires.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: