Thread: Any Advice?
View Single Post
Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 08:36   #28
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris152 View Post
Browsing the net and looking at details of various cars, I realised I couldn't recall all the advice you've given, so I've gone back through and pulled out what I think is most important info for us at the moment. Accepting that some of these are clearly swings and roundabouts, we need to consider:

L, LH Jetronic and Motronic - improved power and economy over carbs and K Jetronic (question - how will I know what injection system is in any car - is it by date?);
Avoid smaller engines (ie 2.0) as they are underpowered, less mpg and wear out - go for 2.3;
Later 240s have better rust protection (any idea what date this started?), and avoid significant signs of rust below tailgate and behind rear bumper, this can be a sign of expensive rust further down;
If manual, try to get overdrive for better ride and economy; 5-speed better still as no overdrive to go wrong (I think I read that elsewhere) but they can get noisy after 200 000 miles (question - do some autos have OD? I see that's what's written above);
Avoid post-1991 (J-reg) as the cat saps power and economy and can be expensive to replace;
245GLE/GLT looks a good match to our needs (tho the 'T' could be expensive for insurance for him).

With those pointers in mind we have something like a target car in mind, and can work back from that according to what comes up for sale. Any corrections very welcome!
Thanks.
The "T" in GLT stands for either "touring" or "toys", not a turbo. Mechanically they are just fuel-injected machines.The standard goodies are: electric windows all round - GL models have electrics at the front, GLE all round; leather interior, though velour was an option; electric mirrors, also fitted to GLE and early GL models; a sliding steel sun-roof on the saloons and a few earlier estates; and the Virgo alloy wheels. The suspension was firmed up but that's not a visually obvious difference. Obviously some of the bits can be retro-fitted to lower spec cars.

K-Jtronic engines have a large intake manifold/plenum chamber that you can use as a tool store/cup holder and was fitted on cars up to (IIRC) a G-prefix.

Manual gear-box is a matter of preference - I had an M47 that ran to 235000 without any sign of trouble, and an overdrive box whose wiring I "modified" to give me 8 forward ratios.

240SE estates were predominantly 2.0litre cars but I didn't find mine particularly underpowered as we came back from Clitheroe to Asgard with two large rolls of carpet on the roof at the legal speed limits and the Thelwall Viaduct is not the place to be holding up the traffic.

The late estates, with the deeper tailgate window are aluminium so don't rot out at the base; all estates have fragile tailgate wiring looms but there are plenty of guides on the forum to the bodging/proper rectification/replacement of same.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post: