Thread: Engine: D5: - Engine Service Required - Result!!
View Single Post
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 14:52   #1
V40 Simon

Default Engine Service Required - Result!!

Recently my V70 D5 went into limp-mode with 'engine service required'. It happened when the engine was cold and under significant load i.e. accelerating onto motorway/dual carriageway.

Took it to a local Volvo indi for a code read. It pointed to a boost pressure fault.

I then booked it into Stratstone Burton for a 120k service and for them to look at it in a bit more detail. They hooked it up and agreed the boost pressure problem and said it could be a pressure sensor but updated the ECM software to see if it solved it. I picked the car up Friday afternoon and straight away limp mode again.

Took it straight back. This time same code plus another one. They did a vacuum check of the system and it turns out one of the lower engine mounts, which work on a vacuum to slightly lift the engine, is leaking. They blanked it off temporarily as I was on a jolly to Southampton over the weekend and no more problems!! Booked in this week to have it replaced. Cost of replacment pads for engine mount is £98 + fitting (1+1/2 hours) and vat.

Thought this may help others before they start throwing new sensors etc at it.