View Single Post
Old Apr 25th, 2018, 23:09   #14
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Hi Simon,

If the pistons are not 'behaving' the same in both carbs, then they are not balanced properly.

You're welcome at any mutually convenient time to trundle that car down here to Exeter and I'd be delighted to go through step by step how to get them running exactly the same.

You have to start by checking the float heights are the same in both chambers. There are many ways you can do this, some more precise than others. As well, you have to check the piston drops onto the bridge with a good 'clink'. If not, then you have to centralise the jet.

Next you HAVE TO disconnect the balancer bar, throttle shaft, whatever you want to call it to make sure the carbs are running idependently from each other for the next few adjustments. Then screw back the choke screws/fast running screws then adjust the idle screws so both carbs are running at the same speed: listen to the same hissing sound, use a Gunson Carbalancer, compare the heights of the pistons - whatever method you want to use, but I recommend using a little hand held air speed gauge (anemometer) available from Amazon for about a tenner. Then adjust the mixture: Colortune, CO probe up the exhaust, whatever method, but I do it by ear listening out for when the mixture is just too strong and it's lumpy, then screwing back in until it runs fast. After doing the mixture, you have to re-check the idle speed hasn't altered followed by adjusting the choke screws back up so that there is a tiny, but matching, gap between them and the cam thingamer for fast running.

Once both carbs are running identically, you then BALANCE them. This very non-technical bit gets left out so, SO frequently!

You have to set the carb levers to activate at precisely the same time by adjusting the balancer shaft so that the pivots touch the carb levers at the same position. This is really important. It opens the carbs at the same time and closes them at the same time. You can check it but watching the pistons bob up and down when you 'blip' the throttle. If one activates more eratically than the other, the carbs aren't balanced. You can also check fast air speed using the air gauge, but generally, if pistons are acting the same, that's pretty accurate.

As I say, jump in the old car and bring it down to Exeter and I'll show you how!

PS I don't see a problem with cleaning out the domes etc with Brasso, though never heard of that method before nor see the point of it. However, I would recommend severe caution of going anywhere near the needle or jet with Brasso. In fact, don't even touch the needle with a rag as the brass is so, so soft you can very easily wreck them.
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL

Last edited by swedishandgerman; Apr 25th, 2018 at 23:17.
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote