View Single Post
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 13:19   #27
keithyboy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPants View Post
That looks like quite an impact! Glad to hear your more or less fine

When I was a kid I used to quite like Ford Sierras (As well as Volvos naturally ) However after my dad accidently went into the back of one at probably about 30mph (maybe more I can't remember) I wasn't quite as keen...

'82? Volvo 240: Bent bonnet, broken headlight and gasp a cracked grill (although damn expensive from the dealer!). Some of this damage was probably due to the car landing in a ditch afterwards. We drove it around for a while afterwards with a boarded up headlight! Shame insurance company wrote it off (car was 9 years old). I'm sure someone will have fixed it up.

'84ish Ford Sierra: Bent shell resulting in the doors jammed shut and the passengers (who weren't even seat belted) having to climb out the windows! The back naturally was all smashed.

So what did we do? Buy a Volvo 740

The Sierra was probably the first Ford that was designed with any sort of safety in mind but any sort of shunt pulls the shell completely out of shape. When I was young and foolish (32) I managed to put one sideways into a bollard at about 20mph. The bollard hit on the quarter panel and none of the doors would open afterwards.

When I was even younger I managed to have a collision similar to the one here with a bus which was overtaking a roadsweeper when I was driving a 1983 Ford Orion. I walked away from that with nothing more than cuts, bruises, whiplash, broken teeth, a broken jaw and a shattered cheekbone, all of which required surgery to put right.

My interest in my Mini waned with the dawning realisation that the results of an accident weren't going to be pretty.

I have to say I feel quite happy that my wife is driving our kids around in an S40.
keithyboy is offline   Reply With Quote