View Single Post
Old Mar 12th, 2017, 23:34   #20
Quacker
Premier Member

I wonder whether it needs a 'blast' to regenerate? I ask because I happened to stop my new XC90 the other day at about five miles from home and after a cold start. Opened the door and the heat and smell and the cooling fan roaring suggested that it was mid-regenerating. 750 miles from new. The five miles from home were not done at a 'blast' but normally driven at up to 50mph and revs around 1500.

Ive three other cars with DPF's and apart from once with the Ranger pickup, this is the only other time I've noticed any of them regenerating. I could tell when my [now sold] Juke was due to regenerate and when it had done, because the engine sounded harsher just before or during, but nothing with my current Qashqai or CRV. I've driven the CRV nearly 60,000 miles and been an occasional driver of the Qashqai which has covered 25,000 miles in all.

Perhaps the latest generation of cars regenerate more reliably than older ones? Certainly the design of the latest Drive-E engines is interesting in that both the cat and DPF are housed in the same enclosure which is bolted directly to the turbocharger housing, so there is no significant heat loss in the gas.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote