View Single Post
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 15:42   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney760 View Post
Can somebody explain to me please? Is the DMF separate to the clutch. Can I just renew the clutch without renewing the DMF? I don't have any of the symptoms of a failing DMF.
I'll have a go Ellie but to be honest, i've never needed to get involvoed with DMFs so don't know a wild amount about them.

Referring to my picture further up about the clutch, the flywheel is in very simple terms in two vertical halves. In other words, instead of one thick disc, it's two thinner discs and the one closest to the clutch disc is joined to the one on the back of the engine by an arrangement of springs.

This gives you two flywheels or dual flywheels and i think the "Mass" part of Dual Mass Flywheel came about as it sounded better!

The arrangement of springs creates a suspension type effect but in a rotary motion rather than up/down as with your normal springs and shock absorbers This reduces vibration and increases the power and torque handling of clutch.

Because of the spring arrangement inside the DMF, they become a wearing item with the rest of the clutch. That's why many garages replace the DMF with the clutch as a complete assembly so if there's any come-back, the parts are guaranteed.

Many garages view them as a "black art" because they don't fully understand them (can't say i blame them really! ) so that's probably why your local "trusted garage" has said they'll do it if it's a normal clutch but not if it's a DMF so you might be better off going to Volvo and asking for a firm price and description of what clutch you have and/or are likely to need.

Hope that makes some sort of sense!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: