Thread: 240 General: - MAF sensor
View Single Post
Old Apr 22nd, 2017, 11:03   #10
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by george123 View Post
Hi,
If it's any help at all, a couple of years ago I had similar symptoms with my' 93 2.3 SE.
The car started to suddenly use shocking amounts of fuel and black smoked when you started it from hot, and the Lambda light was on all the time.
Other than that, it ran fine, but maybe some small loss of power, eg. on the motorway.

(If you look on the forum under 200 Series Articles, Wooble has kindly listed some common fault codes for the later cars)

The (single in my case) diagnostic code flagged up in the onboard system said it was the Lambda Sensor that screws into the Cat.
(You can test it with a multimeter, the Haynes Manual explains how to do this)

Once I replaced the sensor with a new one, all returned to normality.
Think I got mine from a motor factor, don't think it was a Bosch.

However, if it's the AIr Mass Meter (MAF) that is at fault, this usually shows itself with extreme hunting at idle, confirmed if you unplug it and the idle gets better briefly! When I first got my car it had this symptom at idle, showed no Lambda light, but a secondhand MAF cured it straight away.
Or in my case the engine barely able to idle let alone get above idle or provide any pulling power. Limped home ...

For confirmation I checked the fault codes plus the air mass meter multimeter tests. But even then I felt unsure until I had fitted a new air mass meter / MAF and it has worked. I was unsure because there are so many people in the forum having had difficult experiences that involve not only or not exactly the air mass meter. The unplugging test was not entirely helpful in my case. The car had already returned to temporarily behaving OK by the time I tried that.

Some Bosch prices quoted on eBay are very high. Prices are less I think from Brayden but if I remember correctly Angie paid more to Brayden than I paid to Volvo and Angie had to get the item replaced as faulty and the car is still not 100%? You still have a fault code Angie? I got a good price for a Volvo air mass meter. It took about four weeks from Sweden. Just over £150 delivered from FRF Volvo in Swansea. 01792 790066 or 01792 784272 - Quoting discount code: C3 to be sure they realise you are an online customer. There are far cheaper items on eBay but I have heard they are not always as good as they should be. It would be interesting if anyone can recommend a cheaper item that has served them well. After the experience when my air mass meter failed, I'd like to find a known good item to carry as a spare.

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Apr 22nd, 2017 at 11:06.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote