View Single Post
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 00:26   #13
Phil in england
Phil in england

Default TC lockup slip

Thanks - as mentioned in my post, I'd just had the software updated by MRG Volvo on Chippenham, hoping the lockup prob would be cured but it's not helped. Strange thing is that the lockup slip/judder only occurs when I press the accelerator down at a "normal" rate. In that situation the slip/judder begins even by the time the pedal is down just a quarter of its travel. However, if I feed the power in slowly, it won't slip/judder at all, even under full power, pedal fully pressed down. Seems like something is not responding fast enough to changes in the accelerator position. If I let the slip happen too frequently, the "Transmisson Service" message comes up on the display and the torque converter lockup is disabled completely, until I next switch the ignition off and then on again. I can clear the actual message by reloading the ECU remap with my Rica handheld terminal.
I've also noticed in the last year that quite often, once warm, slow city traffic below 10 mph or so, the gearbox will drop down to 1st with a noticeable thump. This might be completely unrelated but to any expert out there, this might be something helpful in determining the fault.
I've never had the fluid changed and I've had the car since 49,000 miles and it now is at 120,000 miles. Some garages tell me that a fluid flush and change might help whereas others tell me that a fluid change can bring on a load of new problems as it might disturb some of the valves and seals and even some debris from component wear. I'm hesitant about doing this, not sure if problems with fluid changes is more of a myth or if it's the garages trying to cover their backsides or whether its a very real possibility.
The other thing is that this lockup judder is "hidden" if I use the box in fully auto rather than in manual. However, I notice that in fully auto, the gearbox is "slippy" with little evidence of which gear is selected under power and instead what seems to be a lot of activity from the torque converter rather than each gear "locking in". Any further advice really welcome as this problem isn't going to go away by itself and will only get worse I'm sure. I know auto boxes can be a money pit, I'm prepared to spend sensible money for a fix but would rather avoid the merry-go-round of replacing bits on a trial and error basis, if at all possible. My software update was worth a try for £40 but from this point onwards, any ideas as to the most cost-effective and likely route to take?
Phil in england is offline   Reply With Quote