View Single Post
Old May 15th, 2018, 13:24   #2
emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearded Swede View Post
Morning

Bought a V50 1.6 D2 (D4162T) a few months back and looking to have it serviced in a few weeks by an "Inde". He's told me they use Shell oil rather than the Volvo's recommended Castrol. Now providing the Shell oil is the correct grade and spec to Volvo's recommendation then the "manufacturer" of oil shouldn't be an issue, correct?

Me having OCD would prefer Castrol though. Obviously I don't know what oil has been used under the previous one owner of the vehicle to me but as he had always got the vehicle serviced at the same Volvo dealer I would like to assume it has always had Castrol.

According to the owner's manual the oil for this engine is SAE 5W-30 ACEA A5/B5

Now the problem I have looking at the current Castrol range is only one product fits the spec for this engine and that is Castrol Magnatec "Stop-Start" not regular Magnatec though. There is a Castrol Edge with A5/B5 but it is 0W-30 which according to other posts is for a later D2 on a V60 but could be used on this V50 engine however this oil is quite a step up in price over the Magnatec.

So my question to you chaps is my D2 does not have a Start-Stop system (that's the driv-e 1.6) so if I use this oil would it cause me any issues. I can't really see it being a problem myself but I would be interested in what you chaps think and also what other D2 owners use if they still use Castrol or are happy to use other brands of the same spec and rating.
Castrol website recommends Magnatec Start-stop oil as compatible with your.
I will use this one for next service myself too. Now I have 8100 ECO-NERGY 5W-30.
emy is offline   Reply With Quote