Thread: 260 General: - 265 GLE - Proud new owner
View Single Post
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 13:13   #86
jonah

Hello everyone, been lurking for (quite) some time!

I don't own a Volvo (boo! hiss!), but have done in the past. A 760td which my father passed on to me after he bought an 850 2.5 20v. I subsequently inherited the 850 when my father died - great car + great dad!

He also owned 2 145s and a 245 in the 1970s, which is what leads me indirectly to this, my first post...

I think Steve (16yr old with a 1980 244) is right about the multi spoke wheels being called "sunbursts", and I wouldn't put too much faith in the turbobricks wheel thread being a definitive guide either - looks like a work in progress to me.

As a result of my Volvo owning father I have a number of Volvo brochures from the period 1979-82.
One of which is the 1979 200 series accessories brochure (print date 9/1978). There are "Safety", "Towing", "Comfort" and "Sport" sections and in the "Sport" section are 4 alloy wheel designs.
The brochure shows the multispoke wheel and lists "Sunburst" (it does not say design) Alloy Wheel part no. 1128730-7. Hub cap part no. 1129021-0. This is the small hub cap and no mention is made of the larger type that covers the wheel nuts.
I have another slightly later brochure, also from 1979 (print date 1979), showing the model range including the "new 262 coupe.. added for 1979" and although no mention is made of the wheels there is a drawing of the 262 clearly showing the multispoke wheels, but now with the large hubcaps.

Perhaps the large hubcap was introduced with the 262 as a way of making the multispoke wheel look like a new wheel without the expense of actually producing one! Perhaps the multispoke wheel was even given the name "corona" when fitted with the large hubcap, but it seems clear to me the wheel was originally called "sunburst".

The wheel pictured in post 87 (page 4) of the turbobricks thread, referred to as the "Lego" wheel, is actually called the "GT". The picture below in post 88 shows a similar wheel to the "GT", but it is not the same, this is the "Exclusive". Also, post 90 has a wheel referred to as "the early GT wheel", this is in fact a "Turbine".
The names aren't very Greek are they? As the 262 seems to be the only Volvo fitted with alloy wheels as standard at the time maybe they hadn't thought up that naming scheme yet??

I just thought in the interests of accuracy I should add my thoughts to this thread.

Back to the present day, I may be in the market for a 240 estate in the not too distant future so expect loads of idiotic questions!

Anyone know if the BMW 2.5 6 cylinder diesel (also fitted to Omegas and Range Rovers) will fit in a 240 engine bay?

Last edited by jonah; Apr 8th, 2008 at 13:19. Reason: spelling!
jonah is offline   Reply With Quote