View Single Post
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 22:35   #10
Andy_eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by althommo View Post
Hi Oli
Forgive my ignorance - I don't know one end of an Etm from the other!! :-)
Does the ETM control the Throttle Body and its the software that is the problem, or is the Throttle Body a separate item altogether and my problem is a different one?
I suppose I really should get to know what I'm talking about before I go on Wednesday morning!
Thanks in advance
Alan
Alan

The ETM is part of the whole throttle body, but as far as I am aware it is not something that can be seperated. The software is not the problem, it is the throttle assembly itself. The software upgrade seems to fix the problem in some cases, but as it is in essence only masking the underlying issue which is a mechanical problem in the assembly, it is likely that it will eventually fail anyway (mine lasted 2 days after the clean and software update).

As Oli has indicated if your dealer has indeed offered a free replacement should the throttle assembly need replacing, then this is a change in tack on Volvo's behalf. They have been offering between 10-30% off the cost of the replacement depending on the age, mileage and how much grief they get!

If you get the throttle assembly replaced for free (and you don't have any warranty), there will be a lot of happy people out there as this is generally a £600 repair.

Good luck and make sure you let us all know the outcome.
Andy_eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote