View Single Post
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 13:29   #7
Pigeon
Volvo-loving biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222s View Post
So that just leaves in front of the engine. It's been a while since I've had to look under the front end of my heap, but isn't there a transverse steering link (with steering box drop link & idler at each end) around there? If a rack is being fitted, that is presumably redundant so the rack can go there.
There is indeed such a transverse link and it certainly seems logical to remove it and fit a steering rack in its place. However it would affect the steering geometry, as the transverse link is a rigid rod hung directly between the two idler/droplink arms and not otherwise constrained, whereas the rack is a rod that can only move transversely relative to the body and connected to the idler/droplink by two hinged bits on the end. The straight-line distance between the moving ends of the idler/droplink would vary with the position of the steering, being shorter on full lock than in the straight-ahead position. This effect could be minimised by using as short a rack as possible, but I'd still want to draw it all out and work out how much of an effect it is before doing the job.

Be kind to pigeons
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote