View Single Post
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 12:39   #28
AndyJudge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welton View Post
I don't like the idea of certain types of motorists (like the ones that 'patrol' the streets pretending to do the policing job they always wanted to do but were not fit enough) submitting their footage to 'amateur prosecute' someone.

The footage could be incomplete or out of context, I chose to drive one of Volvo's high-performance models, occasionally on a quiet stretch of road I might want to open the taps a little and exceed 70mph (oh no send me to prison) I might greatly exceed the NSL whilst overtaking, is that dangerous or reckless? the footage might suggest so.....
Exactly my worry. The problem is with camera's is that they enforce the law but cannot apply any common sense.

eg I'm trundling along a single carriageway road behind a HGV that is doing 50mph on the straights but as soon as it hit bends or hills that speed drops. I come to a perfectly safe overtaking spot so press on the loud pedal to overtake & in doing so I exceed 60mph in order to complete the overtake safely, I then drop down to the NSL I've not impeded the HGV's progress but in the eye's of the law I should be hung drawn & quartered if I was unlucky enough to trigger a Coffer topper upper box, or if as suggested some road warrior with a dashcam were to report me.

On the flip side I could have ensured the I only completed the overtake at 60mph so keeping on the right side of the law but the stretch of road ending meant I had to pull in sharply on the HGV impeding it's progress & potentially causing an accident. However in the eyes of the speeding police I did nothing wrong.

Which was the safer course of action ? If a Police Car saw it (I think I saw one the other day ) The officers would have almost without exception treated scenario A as being safer & wouldn't act, but in Case B may have treated it is inconsiderate driving etc....

Camera's are far too binary to enforce Road Traffic Laws in some circumstances.

Don't forget that I can still legally drive along a road at 60mph in heavy rain, fog Snow etc. & I won't trigger a camera but am I driving safely ?
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyJudge For This Useful Post: