View Single Post
Old Sep 1st, 2018, 04:39   #53
Nickthecook

Exclamation

Not sure if anyone is still interested, bit I'll wage a bet your problem was not the sensor or the DPF, but with the signal wire. Did you ever take any readings with a multimeter? I've had DPF problema for over two years an the car has souded and performed like it's on it's wayout for mostof that time. That was until Two weeks ago I decidednto take the pressire sensor off and check for any moisture. Well, after years of hot gases attacking it, the larger diameter pipe crumbled as I tried to remove the rubber bridging hose.

A local factors managed to get me a new sensor the following day for £65. Installed and calibrated it with VIDA, started the car and......'Engine System Service Required.' ECM-2A50 Pressure Sensor Partuculate Trap - Singal too low. Cleared the code - Back again at Ignition Pos ii. Checked live data for Sensor - over 65,000hPa. WTF? Decide to take the car for a quick drive, I'm curious because to my ear it suddenly sounds a lot quieter with a beautifully smoth idle. OMG! Is this even the same D5? Quieter, Smoother, Power, OMG is the Power is back or what. That's one way I know my DPF isn't blocked. That engine revved as free as could be. What I considered to be a tired, worn old engine just 24hrs earlier, suddenly felt like it had only done 23,500 not it's actual 235,000 miles.

As I check my rear view mirror when accelerating away from a junction, my big wide grin turns to a look of confusion. Had I made all that smoke? A quick check with Torque Pro, EGR fixed at a steady 94.9, she's in regen...nothing new there, except this time it appears to be actually working. The DPG hits 680°c within minutes and at relitively low speed. Then it started, the message center came to life and the power deserted me.

That was a week ago and I'm still trying to get to the bottom of the issue. But one thing I do know is the pressure sensor signal wire should read 0v with the ignition on at Pos ii and the plug to the sensor disconnected. It didn't, it read 5v. I've had just about every code there is for the sensor and DPF over the last two weeks. Too high, Too low, Erratic, Blocked and a few more besides.

I've exposed the 3 wires right back to the ECU and found no obvious signs of shorting, I've even taken the plug off as there was some damage to the signal wire about 2mm form where it went into the plug and a small plastic piece broken near the ground pin hole. I hooked up temporary connectors, but still getting erratic codes. With the 5v wire and the signal wire separated by the ground, I wasn't that hopefull it would work, but it needed rulling out

At this point in time, my Gut tells me the Pressure Sensor Signal wires only neighbour on the ECM plug, (5V supply for the Oil Temperature and Level Sensor,) is shorting the 5v to the signal wire. I'm getting a lot of oil level warnings, and despite adding over a litre of Castrol Edge 0w-40, the light warning was back on 15miles later. No blue smoke and the engine certainly didn't sound oil starved, despite a reading of -4% qith VIDA, the deaired being 70%. Wouldn't that be a turn up for the books, if the oil level amd temp sensor was in some causing the high oil consumption/DPF issues 'only some' Euro4 D5 suffer with, and boy do they suffer. I've been getting heavy blue smoke for a couple of months, yet only black/brown burned soot since the new sensor went on. What's really worrying is that there was no DTC's with the old sensor on the car, despite it running like a complete sack of s**t. How on earth are you supposed to know it's the sensor, when visually it looms fine and appears to be within Volvos paramaters I'm going to have a very close look at those two wires as they approach and enter the Loom/ECM connector. Although the short may well lay within the ECM itself.

Any suggestions are more than welcome. My joy at having my sweet as a nut, quiet, smooth and did I mention POWERFUL V70 D5 back, still outweighs the constant bombardment of Messages, Faults and intermittent Reduced Power. However that will soon change if I don't get to the bottom of this unending DPF Saga once and for all. It's

BTW, I'm also getting O2 Sensor fault codes, but only since the new sensor went on.
Nickthecook is offline   Reply With Quote