View Single Post
Old Aug 31st, 2018, 21:52   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v40tompointer View Post
Earlier d4's are 5 cylinder the later 4 cylinder.
I've had my d4 manual (2015) vea engined , for a couple of years now and have covered 20k miles in my use.
It had the egr common fault fixed,19k miles ago no probs since.
Forget the silly mpg claims, winter town driving along with using the power it averages 38 mpg, summer town driving averages 42 mpg. A uk holiday day trip it'll do 55 mpg.
Road tax is £0 - not bad for a dirty diesel.
i feel 0-35mph acceleration a little slow , my lads 1.25 old fiesta level pegs it up to 35mph,after this the d4 flies.
I'm not sure mine does the claimed 0-60 7s , i think closer to 8s is more realistic figure.
Traction on normal summer tyres was appalling particularly in the wet.
I now use michelin cross climate tyres,these have transformed traction during wet cooler weather.
I think the handling could be improved, it feels heavy into a corner,perhaps this is due to the softer suspension on the se lux nav i have.
I love the car, it has a big car refined feel about it.
TBH i'm amazed at the economy it gives for the power.
Previous cars i've owned fords 2.0(130) tdci,vws 1.9 (105)tdi returned similar
mpg figures without the power the d4 achieves.
The mpg is achievable it is how you drive which increases fuel consumption .

Went to Portsmouth from south wales last week with my brother and his wife in their V60 VEA D3 auto actually, doing 80 mph at 1800 rpm most of the 140 mile journey as traffic was reasonable for a change . it returned 52 mpg ,
coming back traffic was slower of course , it was 50 to 65 mph due to traffic but no hold ups the engine still at 1800 rpm due to the 8 speed auto … 72 mpg coming back . It can be done , the killer is going over 70 mph where wind resistance gets massive although you do not feel it of course . also accelerating at full power does you no favours .