View Single Post
Old Nov 27th, 2020, 13:36   #15
blueosprey90
Master Member

If you have SU carbs, you want an electric fuel pump that delivers fuel at a low pressure. You might consider an AIRTEX E8016S fuel pump with a 2.5 to 4.5 psi and 30 gph flow rate. I run one on my MGA. Or Google "E8016S" and many generic alternative brands will come up. They run about $25.00 US. Facet also makes a low pressure electric pump, but at about $85.00 US.

On my Volvo (PV444), I have an electric pump tied in series with the mechanical fuel pump. I didn't install it, so I don't know what specific pump. But from the ticking, I suspect one of the generic brands similar to my Airtex. It is installed in the engine bay, not at the tank.

My experience with the SU carbs is that the fuel does evaporate from the float bowls. With the electric pump, it is ticking all of the time, but you can hear the sound be muffled as the line / carbs fill(s) up with fuel. When I start the car, I wait for that slight change in sound before I try to engage the starter.

In the November 2020 issue of Classic Motorsports tech tips, they described using a outboard motor primer bulb because the side draft Webber carburetors would lose their prime - which I think is a more serious issue than just a slow prime. Apparently they won't self prime once they have lost prime. They put the primer bulb in the trunk of their Lotus Elan, and if the car has sat for a few days, they start by opening the trunk and giving the bulb a few squeezes to prime the carbs. From my own boating experience, the primer bulb needs to be squeezed until firm.

Last edited by blueosprey90; Nov 27th, 2020 at 13:46.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blueosprey90 For This Useful Post: