View Single Post
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 09:04   #3
eternal optimist
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
I recently read that caravan batteries generally only reach about 80% charge from the car.
I wonder if that's true or not. There ought to be enough 'headroom' in the car's charging system to top up a caravan's battery whilst the car's on the move. It's no different in reality to a split charge system used in a mobile home,

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
Giving this more consideration, a thought occured to me today. With self-propelled caravans being so common (i.e. a motor), why don't caravans charge their battery from their wheels (i.e. dynamo)?

I realise the motive power for caravan parking aren't designed to do this, and I realise attempting to utilse them in this way would be insanity.

Okay - forget the motors. But why don't they charge from an alternator or something coupled to a wheel? Either by belt of directly?

It's just an idea. But why not?
The energy wouldn't come for 'free'; the additional drag created by the alternator in charging the battery would have to be paid for in diesel/petrol by the car dragging the caravan in the first place; in addition to the cost of the alternator and control gear on the caravan.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eternal optimist For This Useful Post: