View Single Post
Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 10:37   #6
RSpete

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSpete View Post
I suppose I am showing my ignorance here however I am not clear what the box on the interface is for.

On the software I have for my BMW(EDIABAS INPA DIS SSS which had to run under a VM emulator with a plain OBDII interface ) and now ISTAD/P which uses a switchable K+DCAN OBDII cable.
The VAG-Com, now VCDS, software has a KKL Vag-Com dedicated cable however.

As I understand the base protocol allows certain standard DTC 's to be read, as required by US and EU law, and the manufacturers own diagnostics effectively piggyback on that, hence the difference between my growing collection of OBDII interfaces.

I suppose where I am coming from is that there appears to be a basic protocol most hand held scanners use but greater depth, diagnostics and coding require the manufacturers which is what I presumed VIDA DICE to be.

However it is the interface that is costly here and at this point I want to limit my financial exposure to my daughters car!

It may well be I can get her to spring for the cost however I think it would be wise to understand whether this is necessary or wise.

Will the VIDA software connect with any other interface or only DICE?

I understand Dice to be the interface here and if I read the Volvo blurb correctly its main advantage is Bluetooth connectivity?

The PDF from Volvo I have just read says this " A USB cable can be used as an alternative to the Bluetooth communication." which is probably giving me false hope....

Apart from that the only other roadblock is getting it to work under Win 10....

So if anybody has used VIDA with an ordinary OBDII to USB interface or can recommend anything else for initial diagnostics on the C30 ANTI SKID SERVICE REQUIRED issue.....?

Many thanks and ALL advice gratefully received
Having looked into this a bit further I think I am on a hiding to nothing, no DICE (or other very expensive interface) no communication.....
Damn...

Advice still appreciated though
RSpete is offline   Reply With Quote